Friday, January 8, 2010

Heatsinking the A4983

A4983 Heatsinked

Side Shot


Some spent hacksaw blade sacrificed itself for this adventure, providing a lovely balance of springiness, machinability and rigidity. The heatsink itself is part of an original pentium heatsink, cut to size. With this in place, I can squeeze 1.5A from my drivers, 3x what I had available before. Some forced air would probably increase that again.

Invisible in these shots is the paper shim I made to prevent components shorting against the heatsink's bare aluminium base. I simply cut some paper the same width as a saw blade, then placed it in about the right spot and rubbed with a pencil to give a lovely outline of the chip. A few deft swipes with the box-cutter later and I have a neat shim. I may remake them from plastic if necessary, but this is fine for now. Electrical tape would probably work beautifully too.

Extruder Block

With Motor

Here's the extruder block from yesterday with a motor installed. I've been extruding satay sticks and things to test, and it seems to work nicely. Vexingly, the friction in the holes in the wood seems to be enough to jam the sticks enough that the motor just rips strips off the outside. Not sure what I'll do about this, maybe widen the hole and stick in a plastic barrel or something.

1 comment:

  1. Well done since the days of the old Philips electronics set I have never really used those solder less prototyping boards.

    Always preferring veroboard wire-wrap or verowire as my prototyping medium knowing theres no lose connections.

    Going to try making a CA-42 Nokia lead into a comms lead for the 1.1 mother board if I get that going.
    Will try driving my filament through the Acrylic block today now Ive built all the electronics.
    Then I guess try to belt up Mendel and driving an axis or two.